Monday, January 26, 2009

Snack + Play = Sleep?


So far I've read three books that contradict their suggestions for getting your baby to sleep at night. Although Ryan is eating about 4 to 5 tablespoons of food twice a day he still isn't sleeping much at night. As an example I'll share last night with you. We start with reading three books, a warm soapy bath at 7:30 PM, milk at 8 PM and down in the crib at 8:30 PM - so far so good. Up at 1:30 AM, 2 oz of milk and back to the crib. 3:30 AM up, 2 oz of milk and back to the crib. 4:45 AM, Nuk and kept in bed with me, 5:30 AM the Nuk was popped back in and we snuggled until 7 AM, tried the Nuk again which just annoyed him and made him scream even louder - 2 more oz of milk and up for the day at 8 AM. The only suggestion I haven't tried is letting him cry himself to sleep - I just can't do it....


On a more positive note Tom and I actually went out to dinner this weekend alone. Our friends Lois and Jim came over so we could get out and enjoy some time together. We went to A'Bravo, a place we use to visit quite regularly before Ryan was born, and had a very nice time. We talked a lot about what we wanted to improve in our lives and where we see ourselves in the next 12 months. I was also able to make it to the gym this weekend as well which wasn't easy. I couldn't find my shoes and after tearing the house apart I went to DSW and bought myself another pair. I'm not sure I felt any different but with time I hope to bounce back. Once Ryan starts sleeping through the night the world will be less cloudy and I'm sure I'll start feeling better. In the mean time I will keep my chin up and hope things start falling into place. Pray for warm weather!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jeni said...

ohhhhhhhh bon, I am sorry! Just keep up what you can do and he will do it soon! and so will you!!! He is so dang cute though how could anyone resist the snuggles?!!?

Julie said...

I have taken the cry it out approach with my kids. I know how hard it is...I really really do but it is soooooooooooooooooooooo worth it! It'll take 3 nights, max. Seriously...it will be so much worse to get him to do it the longer you wait and he's perfectly big enough to do it so give it a shot! Get your ipod, turn it on, put the pillow over your head and go for it. One thing I did was keep the moniter on so I could see that my kids were crying but I turned it down so I couldn't actually hear them. For some reason seeing that they were still crying made me feel like I wasn't completely ignoring them. Anyways, that's just my advice/opinion. Either way good luck and remember that no matter what you should do what works for you!

saltysista said...

He only drinks 2oz of milk? Maybe he needs more. Maybe those are just snacks to him and he needs full meals. Sorry!